Vegan

I have started a project documenting vegan food through ink drawings that I then add colour to. I have been vegan since January 2016 after watching some documentaries and being vegetarian for about 4 years by that point.

I went in with a lot of research. I had vegan recipe youtube channels on the go, recipe books, blogs, pinterest boards; I was ready!

I found it surprisingly easy even though I was living in Abu Dhabi which has quite a meat heavy culture. I found that we ate lots of falafel, hummus, pastas, smoothies and curries. Since we moved back to the UK it has been super simple. All the supermarkets have vegan cheeses and sausages, the restaurants normally have one or two options (and they don't frown when you say 'vegan') which is great.

I worried about not being able to have super tasty treats like cakes and puddings and also that main course food would be bland but I have found it to be the opposite. We often eat pancakes, especially on a Saturday morning with tea and orange juice and gypsy jazz. I bake cupcakes and birthday cakes and make ice-cream. Yes, I eat less chocolate but that's only a good thing right? Yes it sometimes gets tricky when with friends and just trying to find a quick bite or lunch wrap. Overall however, I love it.

The best blog I have found is hotforfood. I think the recipes are simple and well explained and the ingredients are easy to find. I also like that things are fried and baked and have sugar and flour which are all things I love.

Here is my first sketch - Vegan Breakfasts.




Comments